What is Community Education?
Community education provides informal and non-formal education for hard-to-reach adults. It is a process of learning and change that is rooted in the Community. Community Education aims to build the capacity of local communities to engage in diverse, dynamic and accessible learning in a non-threatening environment in order to effect change towards a more just and equal society.
Community Education courses are funded by the ETB from its Community Education budget. Community Education aims to support community education in the form of the following:
- providing and assisting communities or groups to set up new educational courses or to rejuvenate former community education groups;
- assisting new groups to become established;
- helping groups plan courses, access ETB resources, find tutors, apply for funding;
- encouraging groups to try new activities (e.g. creative writing, flower arranging, pottery, yoga);
- facilitating networking between groups;
- offering supports for groups in areas like community consultation, review & evaluation and strategic planning.
Please click here for a copy of the Community Education Operational Guidelines.
Community Education Facilitator
Further Education Centre
086 170 0936